Premium Membership Benefits

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Chattering

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Chattering

Ok boys I'm new to this forum wondering if I can get a spot of help with some issues on my '06. I have a chatter coming from the driver front end. Seems to only happen when hitting a bump or pothole... I changed the hub assembly. That eliminated about half the chatter but.... also got a squeak on the front passenger side(can reenact by rocking). I suspect it's ball joints on the driver side, and control arm bushing/bolt on passenger but can't pin it down. Thanks for any and all help.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Chattering

With the truck on the ground and your hands at 9 and 3 move on the wheel move it very slowly.

Do you have any play?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

CLICK HERE TO BECOME A PREMIUM MEMBER TODAY!

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Very little to none.

4. Thanks IGOTADURAMAX thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTADURAMAX, Polaraco liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zamoramax View Post
    Very little to none.

Can you make the noise happen all the time?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

CLICK HERE TO BECOME A PREMIUM MEMBER TODAY!

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTADURAMAX View Post
    With the truck on the ground and your hands at 9 and 3 move on the wheel move it very slowly.

Do you have any play?
    Quote Originally Posted by zamoramax View Post
    Very little to none.

I'm going to change that. Raise the wheel and shake it 12 and 6 O Clock. Have someone watch the joints.

Then do the 3 and 9. JJ neglected to tell you to raise the wheel.

Look for rust around the joint. You could squirt some oil on them and see if that helps. If the joints are squeaking, you'll see ir real dry and fine rust around the joints.

Take a look at all the bushings. See if they are worn or loose.

Also look at the CV joint (U Joint) between the hub and front housing. (I assume it's a 4 X 4) Look for rust there too.

As far as the chatter is concerned, Hard to call. It could be a lose bracket on the body, or you may have bad bushings

How miles on this? Has it ever been hit? Have you ever dropped any tools down in the fender? Yeah I did that once.

Bear with me. I'm a Dodge guy, but we share the same axles.

7. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTADURAMAX View Post
    Can you make the noise happen all the time?
    Every bump...

8. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I'm going to change that. Raise the wheel and shake it 12 and 6 O Clock. Have someone watch the joints. Then do the 3 and 9. JJ neglected to tell you to raise the wheel.

Look for rust around the joint. You could squirt some oil on them and see if that helps. If the joints are squeaking, you'll see ir real dry and fine rust around the joints.

Take a look at all the bushings. See if they are worn or loose.

Also look at the CV joint (U Joint) between the hub and front housing. (I assume it's a 4 X 4) Look for rust there too.

As far as the chatter is concerned, Hard to call. It could be a lose bracket on the body, or you may have bad bushings

How miles on this? Has it ever been hit? Have you ever dropped any tools down in the fender? Yeah I did that once.

Bear with me. I'm a Dodge guy, but we share the same axles.
    Will try working the clock tomorrow. But to answer everything else..on one of the upper control arm bolts it is a bit more rusty than the other bolt. This would be the passenger front side where I speculate the bushing/bolt...the cv is clean and in good to great condition. The truck has never been hit in a manner that would cause an issue(parking lot where my rear bumper was "love tapped"). The sound is what you would expect to hear when the cap is removed and a couple lock washers are chattering around while I drive.

9. Thanks IGOTADURAMAX thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTADURAMAX liked this post