Premium Membership Benefits

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Exhaust rattle

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Exhaust rattle

I've heard that this is the infamous rattle around 1300 rpm. More of a squeal than rattle but only last roughly between 1275 and 1400 rpm when it does it(more often than not). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTADURAMAX thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTADURAMAX liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust rattle

Can you get us a video of it?
    Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

CLICK HERE TO BECOME A PREMIUM MEMBER TODAY!

4. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTADURAMAX View Post
    Can you get us a video of it?
    Will try.

5. Thanks IGOTADURAMAX thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zamoramax View Post
    Will try.

How about a year

Try to describe it. Is it tinny sounding? Maybe you have a lose cat converter.

Is it under a load? Or does it do it in neutral?

7. Thanks IGOTADURAMAX thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    How about a year

Try to describe it. Is it tinny sounding? Maybe you have a lose cat converter.

Is it under a load? Or does it do it in neutral?
    Sorry early '06. It only does it under load. Wouldn't say tiny, almost like a heat shield that's loose but I can't find one. I was able to duplicate the noise by roughly shoving the exhaust. Seemed like it was a seam before the cat but just after the turbo. Tried loosening the clamp on the seam and tightening but no luck... plus it didn't want to pop off...

9. Thanks IGOTADURAMAX thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zamoramax View Post
    Sorry early '06. It only does it under load. Wouldn't say tiny, almost like a heat shield that's loose but I can't find one. I was able to duplicate the noise by roughly shoving the exhaust. Seemed like it was a seam before the cat but just after the turbo. Tried loosening the clamp on the seam and tightening but no luck... plus it didn't want to pop off...

With the truck cold, try to beat on the catalytic converters with you hand and see if it rattles. I'm thinking the core may be lose. If you hear a slight clunk, that's probably it. Unless it is something you can't live with, you can leave it for a while. If it get's worse in time, then replace it. Not sure what your muffler design is, but it could eventually partially clog it. If it were a gasser, I would say get it out as there are 2 converters. 04 and newer cats were mandatory. Heavy fines if your caught without it. There's a slim chance of that happening unless you like to smoke.

11. Thanks IGOTADURAMAX thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    With the truck cold, try to beat on the catalytic converters with you hand and see if it rattles. I'm thinking the core may be lose. If you hear a slight clunk, that's probably it. Unless it is something you can't live with, you can leave it for a while. If it get's worse in time, then replace it. Not sure what your muffler design is, but it could eventually partially clog it. If it were a gasser, I would say get it out as there are 2 converters. 04 and newer cats were mandatory. Heavy fines if your caught without it. There's a slim chance of that happening unless you like to smoke.
    It's been a while and I feel like a jerk for not updating but it's the cat that is rattling.

13. Thanks IGOTADURAMAX thanked for this post